Friday, February 21, 2014

I am 5!

My 5 year old little girl amazes me. I am in awe of her and how this tiny 6lb little girl has grown in to a young lady. The past 5 years have flown by and I cant believe we are were we are right now. 

She is finishing her last year in preschool and starting Kindergarten this summer. I will be homeschooling her, so life will be a little different. We are all very excited about this new journey we will be embarking on. I know God has called me to do this and, I am ready! 

Five is new on my daughter, and she thinks it is something truly amazing. She has always told me that when she turns 5 she will be able to do so much more. With the age of 5 fresh in the air she is taking this and really working it. I love this little girl with every part of me, she makes me laugh often. I have also noticed the new found 5 has also come with a bit of an attitude. She really thinks she can do anything, say anything and act how she wants. We have worked hard at adjusting things for her now that you know she if FIVE (which is apparently a big milestone in a kids life).  By this I mean, we have removed nap time, given her more responsibilities and allowed her a little bit more freedom and privacy. However the attitude, saying whatever she wants and acting out is something I will not budge on. I feel that in order for her to continue to grow into this amazing young lady she needs to understand what is acceptable and what is not. Boy what a challenge this has been! 

Just a few weeks ago my daughter said for the first time I HATE YOU, YOU ARE SO MEAN! Man did that break my heart into about a trillion pieces. I know she didn't mean it and she was just mad; but as a mom that hurts! We had a nice long talk about using kind words and checking our attitude at our bedroom door. It is a work in progress but I know we will concur this new found I am 5 attitude =). 

Our weekly bible verse is:
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1 
I am trying to make her understand that it is not just her silly mommy who wants her to be kind, but God does too. Which makes her sit up and listen, and I am so thankful for that. She wants to please God, not to many 5 years think this way. 

As moms I think it is really important to try our best to not take our kids words and actions personal. They are just kids. They say things without truly understanding it. We also need to take this bible verse and apply it when we speak to our kids. 

My momma and dad always told me to think before I speak. Sometimes it is easier said then done, but as parents we truly need to do just that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment